Monday, March 1, 2010

I Dream In Colors


I am one of those people who remembers pretty much every detail in their dreams, and last night was no exception. I was on my way to a dinner with a bunch of girlfriends (fun!) but it involved a lot of walking in the rain on a road with no sidewalks (not fun!). On the way to the restaurant, which was some sort of Macaroni Grill-type joint in the middle of nowhere, I stumbled upon an amazing discount cosmetics market. Not the Cosmetics Market of midtown Manhattan fame, but a giant market full of discontinued and hard-to-find products. Glimmering eye shadows in rich peacock-inspired hues packaged in the perfect-sized combo compacts. I was standing on line to purchase when ... d'oh! The alarm went off. I never did get the names of those gorgeous shadows, but here are a few of my faves that fall into that color category and, in my opinion, are perfect for spring!

There's something about a wash of blue over a shimmery gold base. For a dramatic look, start with M.A.C's Nylon, the frostiest example of a little goes a long way, and brush mark's I-Mark Custom Pick Eye Shadow in Retro Peacock in from the outer corners. Line the eyes with mark's Eyemarker Color On Liner in Enchanted Forest. For something a little more daytime, try combining the I-Mark shadows in Magic (a slightly browner gold) and South Beach (a pale turquoise). Here's a tip: If you feel you put too much on, use a slightly wider brush to run the gold shadow along the lids, starting at the inner corners. I am a big fan of both these brands, and while M.A.C wins in the pigment department (higher price = more saturated color), their shadows do tend to break up, whereas the mark shadows stay put in their little cases and you can mix and match the shadows, putting anywhere from 2 to 8 in a case, depending on what size you buy. I've dropped mine in the sink MANY times and had no heartbreaking crack-ups.

That's all for now. I'll be brainstorming more posts in my dreams....

p.s. I wish I had the photo skills to take a photo of myself wearing said look, but my attempt was unsuccessful. So enjoy the above photo of a peacock for inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment